FRANKLIN, TN – Nissan announced in a news release that its LEAF earned a five-star safety rating from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. Nissan said the LEAF is the first all-electric vehicle to earn this distinction.
The automaker said the following safety features are standard on the LEAF:
- Nissan Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) with dual-stage supplemental front air bags with seat belt and occupant classification sensors
- Front seat-mounted side impact supplemental air bags
- Roof-mounted curtain side impact supplemental air bags for front and rear-seat outboard occupant head protection
- 3-point ALR/ELR seat belts (driver’s seat ELR only) with pretensioners and load limiters
- Child seat upper tether anchor
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) system and child safety rear door locks.
- Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)
- Traction Control System (TCS)