DETROIT - The all-new 2012 Buick Verano compact luxury sedan, the brand's third new model in the past two years and first in the compact luxury segment, will be revealed at the North American International Auto Show.
Verano goes on sale in the fourth quarter of 2011, the latest model in a product renaissance that began with the Enclave and continued with the LaCrosse and Regal. Like them, the Verano will have 10 standard air bags, an available heated steering wheel and a next-generation radio system with OnStar-powered connectivity that enables seamless communication between the vehicle and the driver's smart phone.
An Ecotec 2.4L and six-speed automatic powertrain combination is standard and delivers an estimated 177 horsepower (132 kW) and 170 lb.-ft. torque (230 Nm), 0-60 mph performance of 8.0 seconds and an estimated 31 mpg on the highway. A 2.0L turbo engine will be offered in the future.
"Verano expands our lineup, continues Buick's momentum and gives us a great opportunity to attract a new generation of customers with a product that delivers on their expectations for design, performance and technology," said John Schwegman, vice president of Buick marketing. "It is a smart choice that delivers unexpected luxury in a compact sedan - and it will compete head-to-head with competitors from Audi and Lexus."
The Verano will be available in several colors, including Claret Red Tintcoat and White Diamond Tricoat. Other exterior color choices include Black, Olympic White, Switchblade Silver Metallic, Cyber Gray Metallic and Mocha Bronze Metallic.
Additional interior standard and available features include:
- Push-button engine start
- Dual-zone climate control with standard air conditioning (automatic climate control available)
- Heated steering wheel
- Heated leather-appointed seating
- Electronic parking brake
- Console armrest that slides and locks
- Power windows with express up/down in the front and express down in the rear
- Steering wheel radio controls
- Uplevel front and rear reading lamps.
Verano's heated steering wheel and heated seats are linked with the remote start feature. In temperatures lower than 45 F (7 C), the steering wheel heater and seat heaters automatically activate.
Comprehensive connectivity is enabled by OnStar's remote vehicle access. Highlights include:
- Passive entry
- Heated steering wheel
- Touch screen navigation system
- Bluetooth connectivity (both phone and audio)
- XM Satellite Radio
- Bose sound system
- Next-generation radio.
Downloading an OnStar app enables the use of remote vehicle features from anywhere in the world. With a few taps, customers can check the:
- Fuel tank level and range
- Fuel mileage
- Remaining oil life
- Tire pressure
- Odometer reading.
Other remote-access features include remote vehicle locking/unlocking, remote vehicle start and a vehicle locator.
Safety is another component in Verano's technology story. Primary features include:
- Ten standard air bags, including frontal, head curtain side air bags, front and outboard rear-seat side-impact air bags and new knee air bags. The head-curtain side air bags deploy in a rollover crash
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control, traction control and anti-lock brakes
- Collapsible pedal system, which allows the pedals to detach during a crash to reduce the risk of leg or ankle injuries
- OnStar with Automatic Crash Response.