Backing up is always dangerous because it's difficult to see behind the vehicle. Here are some driving tips, courtesy of the California DMV, that you may want to pass along to your drivers as a friendly reminder.
When you back up or back out of a parking space:
- Check in front and behind the car before you get in.
- If children are nearby, make sure you can see them before backing up.
- Know where kids are. Make sure they are away from your vehicle and in full view before moving your car.
- Turn and look over your right shoulder while backing. As a safety measure, also look over your left shoulder before you begin backing.
- Do not depend only on your mirrors or only looking out a side window.
- Back slowly to avoid accidents.