MONTVALE, NJ – Mercedes-Benz has provided a list of its 2012-MY vehicles and the major changes each offers over previous model years. In terms of powertrain changes, the automaker cited its new 7-speed transmission as more fuel efficient. The company also said its vehicles will feature four-cylinder engine offerings that include a direct-injection and a turbo version. The V-6 in 2012 models will be normally aspirated, and a new V-8 engine is a bi-turbo, of which some engines will have ECO Stop/Start technology.
The company also said its models will feature new in-dash electronics upgrades, including a a new audio headunit with a 5.8-inch color display, Bluetooth audio streaming, phonebook download, album cover art download, and a USB port. The company’s COMAND with navigation will have a 7-inch display, SIRIUS weather, the ability to display 3D city models, intermediate navigation destinations, and an area avoidance feature, among other infotainment options.
Following is the company’s list of models and related features save for coupe and cabriolet models:
C-Class Sedan (September)
- Restyled four-door sedan with new direct-injection 4- and 6-cylinder engines, more fuel-efficient 7-speed automatic transmission, aluminum hood and increased standard equipment including HD radio, rain-sensing wipers, integrated garage door opener, auto-dimming mirrors, USB interface and integrated compass.
- Exterior updates include new headlights, LED DRL's and taillights, bumpers and grille.
- A completely redesigned interior features a color instrument cluster display, new head unit (described above) with fixed 5.8-inch screen, available. Parktronic with Parking Assist.
- New safety features includes standard Attention Assist, Adaptive Brake with Hold function and available Adaptive Highbeam Assist, Lane Keeping Assist and Blind Spot Assist.
- C250 Sport/Luxury: new direct-injection 1.8L 4-cylinder turbo (201 hp, 229 lb.-ft.)
- C300 4MATIC Sport/Luxury: continues with existing 3.0LV-6 (228 hp, 221 lb.-ft.) and standard all-wheel drive.
- C350 Sport: new direct-injection 3.5L V-6 (302 hp, 273 lb.-ft.)
- C63 AMG: receives AMG 7-speed Multi-Clutch Transmission (MCT) and continues with naturally-aspirated 6.3L V-8 (451 hp, 443 lb.-ft.) and optimized suspension. Optional AMG Development Package yields 481 hp.
E-Class Sedan and Wagon (October)
- Model line features more fuel-efficient 7-speed automatic transmission, new steering wheels, color instrument cluster display and standard LED DRL's, media interface moved to center console.
- E350 4MATIC Wagon continues with sport or luxury models, new direct-injection 3.5L V-6 engine (302hp, 273 lb.-ft.) and standard all-wheel drive, third-row rear-facing seat, power tailgate, rear air suspension, and electromechanical steering,
- E350 BlueTEC 50-State V-6 turbodiesel (210 hp, 400 lb.-ft.) continues.
- E350 Sport/Luxury new direct-injection V6 engine (302 hp, 273 lb.-ft.) and available 4MATIC all-wheel-drive.
- E550 4MATIC Sport new 4.6L twin-turbo direct-injection V-8-engine (402 hp, 443 lb.-ft.), electromechanical steering and standard 4MATIC all-wheel-drive.
- E63 AMG Sedan new 5.5L twin-turbo direct-injection V-8 engine (518 hp, 516 lb.-ft.) and ECO Stop/Start technology mated to the AMG 7-speed MCT plus new 19-inch AMG 10-spoke wheels. Optional Performance Packages yields 550hp/590lb.-ft.
- E63 AMG Wagon debuts with drivetrain mentioned above and standard panorama roof
- Model line continues to showcase advanced new driver assistance systems, such as Attention Assist, Active Lane Keeping Assist and Active Blind Spot Assist with automatic brake intervention, Pre-Safe Brake with Automatic Emergency Braking, Adaptive Highbeam Assist and Nightview Assist Plus with pedestrian detection.
- 5-door, 4-passenger hydrogen-electric car (134 hp, 214 lb.-ft.) continues, available for lease in southern California.
- Powered by fuel cell technology with an EPA estimated range of 190 miles (European driving cycle: 240 miles)
- G-Class SUV (October)
- G550 5.5L V-8-powered model (382 hp, 391 lb.-ft.) continues
- "Edition Select" package offered in choice of 3 paints, AMG fenders, exhaust sidepipes, silver-painted wheels and other interior highlights including designer upholstery
GL-Class SUV (August)
- GL350 BlueTEC 3.0L V-6 turbodiesel (210 hp, 400 lb.-ft.) model continues
- GL450 4.6L V-8-powered (335 hp, 339 lb.-ft.) model continues
- GL550 5.5L V-8-powered (382 hp, 391 lb.-ft.) model continues
- Minor updates to the interior, rearview camera now includes directional lines, all models now feature standard LED DRLs
- GLK-Class SUV (July)
- GLK350 3.5-liter V6-powered (268 hp, 258 lb.-ft.) model continues w/available 4MATIC all-wheel-drive.
Media interface relocated to center console.
R-Class Crossover (August)
- R350 4MATIC new direct-injection V6 engine (302 hp, 273 lb-ft), more fuel-efficient 7speed automatic transmission & standard 4MATIC all-wheel drive.
- R350 BlueTEC 50-state V-6 turbodiesel (210 hp, 400 lb.-ft.)
- Model line features standard LED DRLs, directional lines on rearview camera and minor interior updates.
- New standard equipment includes COMAND system with hard-drive navigation, enhanced voice control for audio, telephone and navigation, Gracenote media database, HD Radio, SIRIUS satellite radio with SIRIUS real-time traffic service, Zagat Survey restaurant guide, 4GB hard-drive with Music Register
S-Class Sedan (July)
- S400 Hybrid continues with the first lithium-ion battery designed exclusively for automotive use and 3.5L V-6 mild hybrid powertrain (295 hp, 284 lb.-ft.)
- S350 BlueTEC 4MATIC new model features standard all-wheel-drive and 3.0L V-6 turbodiesel engine (240 hp, 455 lb.-ft.)
- S550 new 4.6L direct-injectionV8 engine (429 hp, 516 lb.-ft.) and more fuel-efficient 7-speed automatic transmission. Available with 4MATIC all wheel drive.
- S63 AMG High-performance model continues with 5.5Ldirect-injection bi-turbo V-8 engine (536 hp, 590 lb-ft) and ECO Stop/Start functionality as well as AMG 7-speed MCT. Optional Performance Package yields 563hp/664 lb.-ft.
- S600 flagship 5.5-liter bi-turbo V12 model (510 hp, 612 lb.-ft.) continues.
- S65 AMG high-performance 6.0L bi-turbo V-12 model (621 hp, 738 lb.-ft.) continues
- Model line continues to showcase advanced driver assistance systems such as Distronic Plus with Pre-Safe Brake, Active Lane Keeping Assist and Active Blind Spot Assist with automatic brake intervention and Nightview Assist PLUS with pedestrian detection.
- Cargo Van, Crew Van, Passenger Van, MiniBus and Cab Chassis models continue with 50-state BlueTEC clean diesel engine
- Available in 3 GVWRs, 3 lengths and 2 roof heights.