In preparation for Modern Tire Dealer's latest Top Retreaders list, the publication's editors compiled an overview of the retreading industry from 2018, covering everything from the double-digit change in overall sales to the average cost of a casing.
The biggest takeaway from the publication, which is also published by Bobit Business Media, is that overall sales of retreads dropped 20.7% in 2018 compared to the previous year. Here are 10 statistical nuggets from the upcoming report:
- Number of retreaded truck tires 14.2 million (down from 14.3 million in 2017)
- Sales (without casings) $2.3 billion (down from $2.9 billion)
- Average retread cost (without casing) $164.64 (down 20% from the 2017 average of $205.91)
- Average pre-cure price $164.60 (down from $205.65)
- Average mold cure price $165.72 (down from $210.22)
- Average casing cost $57.46 (up slightly from $57.24 a year earlier)
- Percent of pre-cure units 96% (up from 94%)
- Average sales margin 17% (down from 18.9% in 2017)
- Number of truck tire retread plants 644 (down 1 from the previous year)
- Number of off-the-road (OTR) tire retread plants 18 (same as 2017)
Editor's note: This data is sourced from Modern Tire Dealer's Facts issue.