Savvy fleet professionals are aware that telematics is enabling the future of transportation; Forbes affirms that fact and predicts it will also “fundamentally change communities, business and the environment.” However, if your current fleet management system isn’t changing your company for the better, it may be time to consider making a switch.
Start researching your options now if you’re experiencing any of the following:
#1 Limited scalability
A telematics solution should not only help you address current problems but should also scale as your business grows and innovations come to market. Fleets of every size can benefit from telematics, often implementing features incrementally, and a wide menu of options is critical for you to remain competitive in today’s evolving economy. You need to be able to prioritize and budget for each stage with confidence that your fleet’s needs will be met and that you will have access to emerging technologies as they become available.
#2 Lack of integration
The right system will integrate with your existing software and third-party solutions seamlessly.
Without integration, you will not be efficient or competitive. Increased efficiency is a hallmark of a quality fleet tracking program, and you shouldn’t be settling for anything less when it comes to syncing all aspects of daily operations.
#3 Poor customer service
Because of the sophistication and complexity of today’s telematics solutions, occasional technical issues should be expected. When this happens you’ll need to rely on your provider’s help and support—without it, you won’t be productive and, more importantly, profitable.
Beware of these red flags of poor customer service:
1. Lack of up-front training and ongoing support
2. No assistance with implementation
3. Additional cost for customer support
4. Support hours limited to Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. (with no accounting for differences in time zones)
5. Lack of response to calls and e-mails
6. When customer service is reachable, they aren’t knowledgeable or helpful
The Right Choice
Choosing a new fleet tracking solution may be the next step you need to take to grow your fleet into a digitally mature and competitive operation. The right solution should help you increase efficiency and productivity while reducing costs – offering you actionable insights to improve the company’s bottom line.
According to Automotive Fleet’s forecast of future fleet management trends, “Telematics continues to dominate the current fleet space and is only expected to grow more in the ensuing years.” The up-front cost of switching to a proven system will be worth it in the long run, equipping you to compete successfully in a digital era where the right technology makes all the difference.
If you have experienced consequences of partnering with the wrong provider, consider these factors when making your next choice:
1) Reputation: Partner with a company who has a proven track record of success and who is more likely to be around for the long-term to meet the growing needs of your fleet. Talk to current customers to make sure they are happy with the scalability, integration and customer service of their provider.
2) Resources: Choose a provider who has the ability to offer the best coverage and solutions and who can afford to keep up with rapidly evolving technology and regulations.
3) ROI: The right match may cost more up front, but reliability in products, training, customer service, and innovation will pay off in the long run. For the best return on investment (ROI), invest in a comprehensive tracking solution to address all the challenges of managing a fleet in today’s tech-savvy, competitive marketplace.
Related eBook: ROI of Switching Telematics Providers