Ford Super Duty to Offer Driver-Assist Technologies
Photo courtesy of Ford.
Ford has announced 17 new driver-assist features for its 2017 F-Series Super Duty pickup.
Adaptive cruise control, adaptive steering, and Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) with trailer coverage are among the new features available on the Super Duty, according to the automaker.
The adaptive cruise control uses radar to measure the distance and speed of vehicles ahead, then automatically slows the truck and trailer to maintain that preset distance at speeds above 20 mph, using the engine brake to assist drivers towing heavy trailers.
Speed is controlled on descents using the adaptive cruise control with the integrated engine brake, which is enabled at a push of a button. Extra engine braking power helps reduce wear-and-tear on wheel brakes – especially on downhill grades.
Adaptive cruise control is optional on Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum Super Duty pickups, including the F-450 Super Duty.
The adaptive steering technology changes the ratio between the driver’s actions at the steering wheel and how much the front wheels turn. With adaptive steering, the ratio continually changes with vehicle speed, optimizing steering response in all conditions. Housed entirely within the steering wheel, the precision-controlled actuator - an electric motor and gearing system - can add to or subtract from a driver's inputs.
BLIS with trailer cover uses radar hidden in the taillights to detect a vehicle entering a driver’s blind spot while driving or backing up, and alerts the driver with a yellow light in the sideview mirror. BLIS can extend to the back of the trailer, helping to make the driver aware of vehicles entering the trailer’s blind spot.
Also available is lane-departure warning, which vibrates the steering wheel to mimic rumble strips when the driver begins to drift over a lane marker.
The complete list of driver-assist technologies includes:
- Adaptive cruise control and collision warning with brake support.
- Adaptive steering.
- BLIS with trailer coverage.
- BoxLink with premium locking cleats.
- Factory-installed customer-placed trailer camera.
- Inflatable rear outboard safety belts.
- Multicontour front seats with Active Motion.
- Power-deployable running boards.
- PowerScope power-telescoping and power-folding trailer tow mirrors.
- Remote tailgate release with power lock.
- Standard flat load floor on SuperCab and Crew Cab.
- Stowable loading ramps.
- Tailgate step.
- Trailer Reverse Guidance.
- Trailer tire pressure monitoring system.
- Utility lighting system (LED side-mirror spotlights).
The Super Duty will go on sale in late 2016.