Chrysler LLC Introduces Entire 2009 Dodge Challenger Model Lineup at New York International Auto Show
NEW YORK – At the recent New York International Auto Show, Chrysler LLC unveiled itsfull 2009 Dodge Challenger model lineup. Pricing will start in the low $20s. TheDodge Challenger is the first five-passenger, two-door coupe produced fromChrysler’s proven rear-wheel-drive platform that delivers the Chrysler 300 andDodge Charger. Three models will be offered in North America: Dodge Challenger SRT8, Dodge Challenger R/T, and DodgeChallenger SE.
The DodgeChallenger R/T features the new-generation 5.7L HEMI V-8 engine with afive-speed automatic transmission that produces an estimated 370 horsepower(276 kW) and 398 lb.-ft. of torque (540 Nm). For 2009, the HEMI engine is upgradedto get an estimated five percent improvement in fuel economy as well as anincrease of 30 horsepower (9 percent) and 8 lb.-ft. improved torque (twopercent) over a greater range of engine speeds. The automatic transmissionfeatures fuel-saving multi-displacement (MDS) technology, which increases fueleconomy by as much as 20 percent depending on driving conditions withoutsacrificing vehicle performance.
The DodgeChallenger R/T also offers a precision-shift six-speed manual transmission —the first for a new-generation HEMI-powered car — that produces 375 horsepower(280 kW) and 404 lb.-ft. of torque (548 Nm) when running on premium fuel. TheDodge Challenger R/T can go from zero to 60 mph in less than six seconds.
The 2009Dodge Challenger SRT8 features an SRT-exclusive 6.1L HEMI V-8 engine mated witha new-for-2009 six-speed manual transmission or a five-speed automatictransmission with Auto Stick that generates a blistering 425 horsepower (317kW) and 420 lb.-ft. of torque (569 Nm). The vehicle can go from zero to 60 mphin less than five seconds.
The DodgeChallenger SE powered by the 3.5L High Output V-6 with a four-speed automatictransmission produces 250 horsepower (186 kW) and 250 lb.-ft. of torque (339Nm). Patterned off the Dodge Charger architecture, the front suspension andfive-link independent rear suspension system on all Dodge Challenger modelsprovide excellent ride and handling characteristics.
On theexterior, the long, raised performance hood with scoops and recessed grille withround dual headlamps are reminiscent of the original Dodge Challenger. The boldA-line, or character line, that runs from stem to stern gives the all-new 2009Dodge Challenger an instantly recognizable muscle-car profile. Retro dualrectangular exhaust outlets complete the look from the rear.
On theinterior, the trapezoidal theme of the door-panel cove and gauge cluster, darkheadliner, and slanted shifter console are inspired by the original DodgeChallenger. The modern interpretation of the Dodge Challenger offersexceptional rear seating for a two-door coupe, achieving best-in-class rearhead (37.4 inches) and leg (32.6 inches) room. Coupled with best-in-class cargospace (16.2 cu. ft.) — equal to the Dodge Charger — the all-new 2009 DodgeChallenger offers added comfort and functionality.
Scroll down for more...
Theall-new 2009 Dodge Challenger offers customers a full range of innovativetechnologies including:
- MyGIG provides a cutting-edge multimedia audioand entertainment system, with built-in navigation.
- UConnect Hands-free Communication Systemprovides convenient, voice-activated communication with Bluetooth cellularphones.
- SIRIUS Digital Satellite Radio offers a varietyof commercial-free radio programs and music.
- Keyless Go allows the driver to start the vehiclewith the simple push of a button.
- Remote Start starts a secured vehicle with thekey fob.
DodgeChallenger offers more than 25 safety and security features including:
- Supplemental side-curtain airbags extendprotection to all outboard front- and rear-seat passengers.
- Anti-lock Brakes (ABS) modulate the brakes forthe driver to provide steering control while braking.
- Electronic Stability Program (ESP) appliesselective braking or throttle reduction to control oversteer and understeer.
- Brake Assist ensures maximum braking actionduring panic stops.
- Traction Control reduces the throttle and/orapplies selective braking to optimize traction during acceleration.
- Hill Start Assist (HSA) for Manual Transmissionapplication assists the driver in launching the vehicle on an incline.
- Automatic Headlamps turn headlamps on at duskand off in the daylight without driver intervention.
- Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) alerts driverabout low tire pressure(s) in order to facilitate safe handling.