2014 RAM 1500 Features New 3.0L V-6 EcoDiesel

December 2013, by Mike Antich - Also by this author

Photo courtesy of Ram.
Photo courtesy of Ram.

The 2014 Ram 1500 pickup can be equipped with a new, 3.0L EcoDiesel engine mated to the 8-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission. The new, 3.0L 24-valve, dual-overhead-cam (DOHC) EcoDiesel is a turbocharged 60-degree V-6. It generates 240 hp at 3,600 rpm and produces 420 lb.-ft. of torque at 2,000 rpm.

The EcoDiesel V-6 incorporates Fiat's MultiJet II common-rail fuel-injection system, which features 29,000 psi of line pressure. High-dispersion nozzles and a new servo valve enable fuel-injection events, which occur with greater precision up to eight times per cylinder cycle. This ensures efficiency via clean, smooth combustion.

The EcoDiesel's 60-degree cylinder-bank angle and 1-2-3-4-5-6 firing order are optimized to manage inertia and firing loads, eliminating the need for a balance shaft. The engine's aluminum cylinder heads are heat-treated and feature individual bearing caps that help reduce friction and noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH).

The system also incorporates a new "pre-filter" on the transmission cross-rail and an engine fuel filter. The result is enhanced prevention of injector corrosion, an enabler of long-term durability, as well as protection from the vagaries of regional fuel quality.

The standard engine oil cooler, when the EcoDiesel is used with 5W30 synthetic oil, contributes to a 10,000-mile oil change interval.

The new turbo-diesel is designed and produced by VM Motori, a Chrysler Group diesel engine supplier since 1992.

The new EcoDiesel V-6 achieves 50-state emissions compliance for both tier II and BIN 5. A key enabler is the engine's cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system, which is controlled by electric valves instead of the conventional pneumatic variety. The system also contributes to rapid start-up. The new EcoDiesel is also compatible with B-20 biodiesel.

The new 3.0L V-6 EcoDiesel is among today's most advanced diesel engines. Its emissions are 60-percent less than those produced by diesel powertrains 25 years ago.

A state-of-the-art selective catalytic reduction (SCR) system also reduces emissions. It incorporates a unique diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) system that alerts the driver to low DEF levels, while also allowing the engine to maintain full power.

The Ram 1500 includes an insulated DEF tank with heated lines to mitigate the effects of cold-weather operation. It also features a passive cooling system that does not require engine coolant for the DEF injector. The DEF tank holds eight gallons of fluid. Duty cycle determines refills, but the average interval is about 10,000 miles.

Twitter Facebook Google+

Please note that comments may be moderated.

1. 1. John Kurzyniec [ July 17, 2014 @ 01:03PM ]

I bought one.. I had owned a 2005 4.7 Dodge Ram 1500. Well with 197,064 miles on it I figured it was time to trade it in. The only reason I traded it in was because of the research I did on this new ECO Diesel. Well my first trip fromTexas to Missouri I averaged 26.8 mpg. Now consider this is break in period so I fluctuated from 65-85 mph on the trip. I Loved it. From my 17mpg from my 2005 to 26.8 was awesome. Now that 26.8 was me jumping on the accelerator while doing 70 and did like the power that was still there. The 240 horse may be low but the torque I am very happy with. When you want her to move she moves. I have been averaging in the city 24.4 back and forth to work and that's in Texas with the AC on. As far as the rest of the Dodge standards. The independent suspension of each wheel is just a wonderful ride. You can't tell you're in a truck. The ride is just that of a Caddy riding down the road. I've owned a Dodge since 1993 from a mini van to the pickup and I think RAM in the Rolls Royce per say of the pick up trucks....

2. 2. Norman MacIntosh [ July 26, 2014 @ 03:44PM ]

Norm macintosh.
    I have owned all of the big three auto mashers trucks and after being away from the ram for a few years it is a pleasure to be back in a Ram. I wanted the truck from the minute I heard that you were putting a Diesel in a haft ton. I could not be more pleased with the Dodge Ram Big Horn. On every level, power, ride, quietness and handling I am so impressed. On my first trip from Ontario to Nova Scotia I drove at approx 120 Km an hr and averaged 30, yes 30 miles or 9.5 Lt per hundred K' s. I mention both the conversion rated as a reference. That is amazing! Best truck I ever owned and I have had 6, big and small and nothing compaires to this vehicle. Good work Chrysler, you beat out the competition again.

3. 3. Chuck Menninger [ August 28, 2014 @ 07:03AM ]

Awesome truck - mine is fully loaded with custom everything. I have been getting between 27-29 MPG HWY on my 74 mile daily commute at averages speeds over 70. Go get you one.

4. 4. MaxFrag44 [ August 28, 2014 @ 08:57AM ]

My Big Horn has done extremely good on fuel, I drove from Virginia to St.Paul MN, Approximately 1200 miles and i averaged 27-29 by the computer, but i was suspicious of it because it seemed high to me. I tracked every gallon it took to make the trip each way and for the 2400 miles round trip i used exactly 79.5 gallons. That's 30.18 MPG..... amazing mileage. The ride is excellent and i didn't feel worn out at the end of full days driving. "Home Run" Dodge... Excellent Work..... I'm also looking at the Jeep Grand Cherokee for the wife that has the EcoDiesel in it also.....

5. 5. Tom Van Scyoc sidn [ August 31, 2014 @ 04:21AM ]

I bought the eco diesel in may of 2014 from the factory added air bags on front and rear love the ride. Pull 20" trailer alot and getting 14 to 17 mile a gal. maybe a little short on power on steep hills but can put up with that for increase of mileage, but I was used to the 2007 5.9 diesel 3/4 ton with plenty of power. Dodge made a mistake when they stop making the 5.9 diesel. Over the road at every day driving the 3.0 handles and drives great with short trips 24.5 mile a gal. Long trips 27- 29.3 great truck.

6. 6. John Williams [ August 31, 2014 @ 12:27PM ]

I traded in my 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L HEMI for a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel. I'm glad I did. I was averaging 15mpg with the 5.7L HEMI. I now average 24mpg with the 3.0L diesel. I've been driving the 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 for a month now. I've previously owned 2 Chevy pickup trucks and 2 Dodge pickup trucks. I absolutely like this pickup truck the best so far.

7. 7. Darcy Dean [ September 16, 2014 @ 08:46AM ]

I bought my Eco diesel in May And I do love the truck, but has anyone else noticed when going up hills the engine sometimes starts to shake and sputter? I took it in to the dealer ship and they found nothing wrong. The mechanic mentioned that maybe it's because they have them set to get as good mileage as possible that it will stay in gear for as long as it can before shifting down.

8. 8. MaxFrag44 [ October 04, 2014 @ 05:08AM ]

One thing to keep in mind about the ecodiesel is that allot of its performance is linked to motor temperature ... if you really pay attention to your instruments ... your mileage and power are directly related to the motor reaching the cruising temp of around 200 to 205 deg. f. .... i experienced similar sputtering and i found that the Fuel i was getting was horrible..... go with #1 diesel for a tank or two and all that will clear up... then go back to #2 diesel and it should be fine... don't use any crazy additives....

9. 9. SarahBord [ October 09, 2014 @ 11:49AM ]

I purchased a 2014 jeep grand Cherokee diesel overland in march. I have brought it to the dealership three times since purchasing it. First my DEF light came on. Turns out a new wiring harness had to be installed. My nox sensors were bad. Now the "great"SCR Catalitic converter has to be replaced. I'm being told its a new engine for the grand Cherokee and will take a couple of years to get the bugs out. Great $50k spent. Not!

10. 10. ExMoparGuy. [ November 15, 2014 @ 08:22AM ]

My Ram has 21,000 Kms on it. I has been in the shop for three weeks. They tell me it will be another 5 weeks to get injectors. No injectors in North America?.Two months without a truck and having to pay for a rental? It was a a defect in the pump. Do you really save any money? You would think they would have to have parts in order to sell these trucks. Third new ram in 14 years. I was a Mopar guy.

11. 11. billy craft [ November 24, 2014 @ 07:58AM ]

3.0L V-6 EcoDiesel 1500 2014 4wd less than 10,000 miles oil in the water oil cooler broke in the shop

12. 12. Donnie Hicks [ November 28, 2014 @ 02:23PM ]

1400 miles EVIC flashes a code diesel preheat please wait while driving down the road. Check engine light came on. However truck runs fine.Awaiting line to get my truck fixed. I think Dodge will correct the problems.
    Heck lots of folks never get to drive a new truck. I'm still a blessed man spite the Ram check engine light.

13. 13. Ron Huelse [ December 17, 2014 @ 05:21AM ]

I have purchased my first 1500 3.0 diesel-dodge ram-big horn and would appreciate your comments for continued cold weather driving I also have the engine block heater but what is necessary when unable to plug in overnight What is best to avoid congealing during the winter.As stated ,this my first diesel and the lack of experience dealing with the colder climate will only improve with experience.I would appreciate your imput. .

14. 14. roger [ December 17, 2014 @ 08:28PM ]

find way to plug it in. the heater keeps the block, coolant, engine, trans oils warm for optimum performance in cold weather. it may also help prevent check engine light if you start out too soon. if u can't, u may have to sit for awhile for it to warm up enough to start driving. it may also be very sluggish when first starting out too. it's best to keep it warm as possible as the cold puts a strain on all the various parts. the urea tank has a built in heater so u don't have t worry on that but not hooked up to the 110 ac line.

15. 15. Bert Bodiford [ December 25, 2014 @ 01:45PM ]

I just rolled up 10,000 miles on my 2014 ram 1500 3.0 and have used two tanks of def. is there something I should be worried about.

16. 16. scott [ December 29, 2014 @ 05:10PM ]

I purchased my Ran Eco Diesel in April of 2014 and currently have 19,000 miles on it. I have a 75 miles round trip commute every day on the expressway at an average speed of right at 70mph and my fuel economy is between 24-26 consistently and on long extended runs hits 30 mpg without a problem. Have not found any engine oil filter mfg other than mopar and very few oils meet the standards of this engine so oil change if I do in my drive way still costs around $110-$40 filter and 10.5 qts of $7 synthetic Pennzoil. Very pleased with performance and ride of this machine. if I had to complain about 1 thing I would be hard pressed to do so but Michelin Tires would certainly be a much better choice for this truck! Overall very pleased. FYI if you add a bull bar to the front and you have the parking sensors they become irrelevant!

17. 17. Justin [ December 30, 2014 @ 07:35PM ]

Last night temperture got down to -18*, this morning a DEF warning came across my insterment panel. I am in North Dakota, where you cannot get into a dealer for about a month. I'm pretty sure the DEF fluid froze up. I have 200 miles to figure it out before it shuts down. I found a heated shop to leave it in, I'm just worried that the warning will not clear. Any thoughts??

18. 18. Jason [ January 16, 2015 @ 06:35PM ]

Im a chrysler tech. We've been having loads of issues with these systems freezing up. Ice packed around the def tank or lines. Thaw it out. May need to be brought to the dealer so they can cycle the def injector with witech. Thats nothing. The tranny oil is about 450$ cdn to do a refill. To change the turbo, gotta remove the tranny AND both manifolds. Look under your hood and tell me if you can see your manifolds ;) When I hear 3.0 litre diesel - I cringe.

19. 19. Neil M. [ February 19, 2015 @ 07:04PM ]

Cold starts trick I will share with my 2014 ECO DIESEL-At 0 degrees or colder, I give my eco diesel the "double whambo".....
    The "double whambo" trick is to turn on the ignition the first time and let the glow plug light go out and DO NOT START IT, shut off the ignition and then again, turn on the ignition the second time and let the glow plug light go out and then the starter. It works every time and hits on all cylinders.
    I learned that from an old timer when I was a kid growing up in Minnesota starting his diesel engines in -30 below winters.

20. 20. Arnie [ February 21, 2015 @ 08:16AM ]

I have a 2014 dodge ram echo diesel ...enjoyed it. But when this DEf service light came on. Well I am worried.
    Does anyone know what caused the DEF to turn a milky white colour? I have been told its caused by leaking DEF injectors and or using the wrong DEf and or the very cold weather.
    I brought my truck to a dealership they changed the injectors and DEF pump under warranty but charged me to remove and clean the tank. When I left after 3months of waiting.I was told to only use their mopar DEF. Which is ISO 22241 certified and American Petroleum institute certified. Enjoy the truck but not the this DEF problem . Any thoughts!

21. 21. Ryan Bisaillon [ April 22, 2015 @ 07:31AM ]

My oil pump went and it blew my engine at 20, 800 km. The dealership has been working on the engine for over a month now under warranty.

22. 22. Doug [ August 02, 2015 @ 11:45PM ]

I have owned my ecodiesel for exactly 1 year and 3 days. On the day of the 1 year anniversary of owning the truck with 29200 KM's on it, there started to be a loud thumping out of the engine. Got the truck off the road and that was that. Engine shot!!! Had to get it towed 220km to the dealership. Hasn't even been looked at yet, but it's a big fix. Anyone else blow their ecodiesel engine yet?

23. 23. Rhthomas [ September 01, 2015 @ 06:45PM ]

2015 promaster 3lt etc keep popping off dealer could not find 2 weeks and 5000 dollars fuel pump