Fleet Safety Video Tip: Installing Tire Chains
Infographic: Oregon DOT
Here are some tips, compiled by the Oregon Department of Transportation, on how to install and drive with tire chains during or just after a snowstorm:
- Check your vehicle operator’s manual for the right type and size of chains to use. Then follow the manufacturer’s installation instructions.
- Ensure your chains are the proper size. Don’t deflate tires to install chains.
- Don’t wait until you lose control of your vehicle before chaining up.
- Pull over to a safe and level area to mount or remove chains.
- Carry a waterproof tarp or plastic sheet to help keep you dry.
- Keep children and pets safe in your car to avoid distraction and injury.
- Pull over in a safe place and retighten your tire chains after you have driven a short distance.
- Pull over and stop immediately if any part of your chain fails or comes loose.
- Don’t drive faster than 30 miles per hour when using chains. Accelerate and decelerate slowly. Avoid spinning or locking your wheels. Remember, you can slide even with chains, so drive carefully and slowly.
Here's a video that demonstrates how to install tire chains: