Fleet Safety Tip of the Week: Driving on Slippery Roads
The month of May often brings rain, so now is a good time to remind your drivers of safe driving practices for slippery roads. Here are some tips from the California DMV:
When you drive on wet, icy, gravel or dirt roads you should:
1. Drive more slowly and stay farther behind the vehicle ahead.
2. Slow down as you approach curves and intersections.
3. Avoid quick stops. “Pump” the brakes to slow or stop.
4. Avoid fast turns.
5. Shift into a lower gear before going down a steep hill.
6. If your brakes get wet, dry them by pressing the gas and brake pedals at the same time so that the vehicle drives against the pressure of the brakes.
7. Avoid especially slippery areas, such as ice patches, wet leaves, oil and deep puddles.