Fleet Safety Tip of the Week
This week’s tip involves mountain driving, which poses such hazards as steep hills, changing weather, wildlife and rocks in the roadway. Here is some advice, culled from the Colorado Driver Manual, you can pass along to your drivers as a friendly reminder:
• If your vehicle experiences difficulty traveling up steep roadways, pull off the road at the first place you may do so safely, or stay in the right lane to allow other vehicles to pass.
• Pay special attention to speed limit signs and warning signs, such as those warning of curves, steep hills or other hazards.
• Watch for bicyclists near the right side of the road.
• Use a lower gear to control speeds while going up or down long, steep hills.
• Always yield to vehicles going uphill if you are traveling downhill on a narrow road.
• Do not coast downhill by shifting into neutral or disengaging the clutch.