Some Simple Driving Tips
Allstate included the following safe-driving tips in the company's latest press release. You may want to pass the list along to your fleet drivers as a reminder.
- Minimize distractions -- Engaging in any other activity while driving -- talking on your cell phone, text messaging, changing a radio station, putting on makeup -- is a distraction.
- Be aware of road conditions -- Ice, snow, fog, rain -- all of these weather conditions require extra caution and slower speeds.
- Leave a safe distance between your car and others around you -- Maintain at least one car length space between your car and the vehicle in front of you for every 10 miles per hour of speed.
- Steer clear of road rage -- Reduce stress on the road by allowing plenty of time for travel, planning your route in advance, and altering your schedule or route to avoid congested roads. Remember not to challenge aggressive drivers and stay as far away from them as possible.
- Maintenance matters -- Ultimately, safety also depends on the maintenance of one's car. Ensure that car brakes, exhaust system, tires, lights, battery, and hoses are in good working order.