Edmunds.com Installs ChargePoint EV Station
CAMPBELL, CA - Edmunds.com has installed a ChargePoint networked charging station, manufactured by Coulomb Technologies, at the Edmunds.com headquarters in Santa Monica, Calif. The EV charging station will allow the automotive Web site's staff to test electric vehicles (EVs) and other plug-in cars.
The ChargePoint station was installed by Coulomb distributor Clean Fuel Connection.
"We selected the Coulomb charging station because it allows us to track charging behavior, measure energy/kilowatt hours used, determine greenhouse gas savings and then sort, export and report such charging data for specific test vehicles," said Dan Edmunds, director of vehicle testing for Edmunds.com. "This will allow us to calculate fuel efficiency for the vehicles, which was a key requirement for us."
"Consumers worldwide are already looking to Edmunds.com for detailed information and reviews on the Chevrolet Volt, the Nissan Leaf, the Coda EV, the Mini E and others. We are committed to testing EVs and other plug-ins, and we needed a charger that enables us to easily and safely charge them while collecting as much charging data as possible," said John O'Dell, senior editor of Edmunds' www.GreenCarAdvisor.com.
"We are proud that Edmunds.com has selected Coulomb's charging stations to help with their vehicle testing process," said Richard Lowenthal, CEO of Coulomb Technologies. "Scientific studies from reliable sources such as Edmunds.com will be critical to the success and adoption of these vehicles."
The ChargePoint network is open to all drivers of plug-in vehicles and all manufacturers of plug-in vehicle charging stations. According to Coulomb, ChargePoint network's features include:
- The ability for a station owner to set fees for use of their stations (including free charging)
- The ability for drivers to access stations without a subscription via contactless credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, and Discover)
- All-day, every-day telephone driver support via a toll-free number on all charging stations
- Smart grid-readiness with built-in utility grade metering, time-of-use (TOU) pricing and demand response (DR) control
- Multiple smart phone applications (iPhone and Blackberry) to find unoccupied stations and navigate to them
- Low operating costs due to real-time operational monitoring, alerts, diagnosis and control of stations.
Coulomb Technologies is a leader in electric vehicle charging systems and application services.