AF's Telematics Solution Comparison
The telematics solutions providers included in the comparison matrix chart provided several questions that fleet managers should think about adding to their list of questions when researching telematics solutions. Take a look at this list below – if you are not currently asking some or all of these, it might be time!
- What have been your recent upgrades to the system and what does the road map look like?
- What are the best practices/mistakes that your other customers have made in rolling out the solution?
- How can I control access to vehicles and features for different functions in our organization?
- Give me a specific example of how the system scales for my size of fleet?
- How do reports differ in looks for an executive vs. a supervisor vs. a driver?
- What are the provider company financials? Do they reflect growth and stability?
- Can I speak with any references either in my area that operate my fleet type, etc. that I can speak with that already use this system?
- Can you provide any input on policy creation/enforcement?
- What are all of the available solutions (even if you don’t need them now, it’s good to think ahead to what you might need down the road).
- Will the solution help me manage my fleets’ vehicle utilization to its fullest?
- Does the solution simply track my vehicles, or does it help me manage them?
- How customizable is the solution?
- Does the provider have direct ties with fleet management companies, in particular, mine? Or any other management company, safety, or maintenance services provider?
- How will the provider expand with my fleet over the years?
When researching telematics vendors, fleet managers should ensure that the solution meets all of their needs. Our experts provided a list of items to be sure you look for before making any decision:
- The solution should provide the information you need in an easy-to-find format.
- Ensure that you are able to capture and measure the benchmarks important to your fleet.
- As fleet needs, sizes, and make-ups change, ensure that the solution will grow with your fleet.
- Research all providers in depth. Check out their reputation from other fleets.
- Look at the full total cost of ownership of the solution. Reviewing both up-front and lifetime costs ensure that you aren’t surprised down the line. However, remember that cost is not necessarily everything with a telematics solution. Some solutions may come with a higher cost, but reap larger financial benefits.
- Take the time to engage with multiple providers before making a decision.
- Review how involved you, as a fleet manager, want to be with the program. Do you need a solution that lets you be completely hands on, or do you need to simply be able to review reports?
- Do not assume that all products are created equal.
You can view a PDF of the comparison chart here.