Ed Bobit, Founder of Automotive Fleet and Bobit Business Media, Passes Away

June 29, 2014

Edward J. Bobit

1927-2014

Ed Bobit, founder and chairman of Bobit Business Media, and publisher of Automotive Fleet magazine and many other media brands, passed away this morning at the age of 86. Last summer Bobit had undergone valve-replacement surgery and had been working primarily from home. He died peacefully in his sleep.

Bobit was a man of outsize pleasures, but none more than his work and family, which were usually one and the same. Ed’s son Ty runs the company (Ed had turned over the CEO mantle to Ty in 2004) and his eldest grandson Blake joined the company in 2010. Ed loved the fleet business and counted among his closest friends those he first met through the business.

He had a big family and enjoyed hosting annual reunions of his five grown children (his daughter Bonnie predeceased him in 2007), 14 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild. He mentored many, many publishing professionals in his long career, and inspired many fleet professionals with his advocacy for the industry. The original idea for Automotive Fleet grew out of his notion that there were not enough resources for the men and women who managed large fleets. He launched the company’s flagship publication in November 1961. He was inducted into the Fleet Hall of Fame in 2009.

One of his greatest passions was any sport played by his beloved Michigan State, where he played himself during his undergraduate career. This year’s Spartan victory at the Rose Bowl, which he watched live, was, in his own words, “One of the happiest days of my life.”

He is survived by his five children: Ty Bobit, Barbara Jusseaume, Bobi Jo Banas, Beverly Jacobson, and Beth Edwards as well as 14 grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

A memorial service for Ed Bobit has been scheduled for 11 a.m. on July 9 in Rancho Palos Verdes to allow family, friends, and colleagues to pay tribute. A viewing has been scheduled for 10 a.m.

St. John Fisher Parish
5448 Crest Road
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275
(map)

Remembering Ed Bobit
Photos of Ed Bobit Ed Bobit's Publisher's note Fleet Hall of Fame
Photos of Ed Bobit Ed Bobit's Publisher's note

Comments

1. 1. Allen Mitchell [ June 29, 2014 @ 11:39AM ]

This is indeed sad news. Mr. Bobit was an inspiration to me. I trust the family will do its best to carry the fine traditions hee established.

2. 2. Phil Russo [ June 29, 2014 @ 11:45AM ]

Sincere condolences to the entire Bobit and AF family. Ed was an icon and his mark on the fleet industry is indelible. His contributions and life will be celebrated.

3. 3. Clarence Nunn [ June 29, 2014 @ 12:02PM ]

Ed was a great man and true asset to the Fleet Industry! Being new to the Industry in 2009, as the CEO of GE Fleet Services, Ed went out of his way to make my transition a smooth one. His kindness, bigger than life personality and professionalism will never be forgotten!

4. 4. Chuck Jones [ June 29, 2014 @ 12:11PM ]

Deepest condolences to his family

5. 5. Rosalie Falato [ June 29, 2014 @ 12:30PM ]

Such sad news. Ed was an amazing man. I often saw him at various fleet functions and he always made every fleet professional feel welcome. I admired his knowledge and love of the business - fleet and publishing. It seemed he was always right there. Sincere and deepest sympathies to his family (personal and business). He will be sorely missed. God Speed Ed. Thanks for all your help and interest in making fleet a better place to be.

6. 6. Richard Pipenhagen [ June 29, 2014 @ 12:54PM ]

Deepest sympathy to Bobit family and Bobit Media team. What an industry icon! Glad I had the honor to know him for nearly 30 years. RIP Ed.

7. 7. Andy Gross [ June 29, 2014 @ 12:54PM ]

RIP. Ed will remain in our heart and minds as a truely wonderful man.

8. 8. Greg Glander [ June 29, 2014 @ 01:10PM ]

Ed was an icon in our world. I will never forget his corporate advice given to me throughout the years. May he rest in peace. Bless the Bobit family on this Sunday and always.

9. 9. Ron Shoemaker [ June 29, 2014 @ 01:11PM ]

Today our industry has lost a great innovator, tremendous businessman and even a greater person. Ed has done so much for so many and he will never be forgotten. Condolences go out to the entire Bobit Family as well as to the Bobit Business Media Family.

When I think of Ed and how he lived his life, the following quote comes to mind: "Life is not a journey to the grave with the

intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Rest in Peace Ed. I feel certain Ed is now sitting on a beach, bullshitting with Don F., Milo M and George W.

10. 10. Thomas Westergaard [ June 29, 2014 @ 01:14PM ]

I enjoyed Ed's back page articles and quoyes for the last 30 years. He helped bring professionalism to my practice of fleet management. Sparty will miss you Ed.

11. 11. Kim LaRue [ June 29, 2014 @ 01:16PM ]

Ed was one of a kind. Always genuine; always passionate. I know I am only one of the many people whose life he enriched. The Bobit family and staff are in my thoughts and prayers. I will miss you Ed.

12. 12. Carl Nelson [ June 29, 2014 @ 01:23PM ]

My deepest sympathy to Ed's personal and AF families. The fleet industry owes him a debt of gratitude that could never be repaid. There is no doubt that he will be sorely missed.

13. 13. Ross Friedmann [ June 29, 2014 @ 01:54PM ]

Ed was an amazing fellow! Always remembered your name, where you worked, lived, and your position. He always made you feel welcome at industry events! Indeed, he will be missed! Rest peacefully, my friend.

14. 14. Dave Hansen [ June 29, 2014 @ 02:45PM ]

Loved the Coach as part of our family. Will never forget the smiles which accompanied the best professional mentoring I ever experienced in business. The automotive world and especially the fleet industry lost one its greatest leaders who will be remembered for a very long time. Thanks to the family (including the Bobit Publishing team) for sharing the Coach with the rest of us...and deepest sympathy as well.

A toast to the Coach: May your spirit live forever in our hearts and may it always bring a smile to our faces as we remember everything you did to enrich our lives.................

15. 15. Michael Stafford [ June 29, 2014 @ 03:06PM ]

The Coach of Bobit Business Media and in many ways the fleet industry itself. Thank you Ed for being "Coach" to all of us.

16. 16. Mark Eckhaus [ June 29, 2014 @ 03:45PM ]

A remarkable man.
    What I most remember is every time I was with Ed he was FUN TO BE AROUND!
    He WILL really be missed.

17. 17. Terri Stiffler [ June 29, 2014 @ 03:51PM ]

Sad to hear of Ed's passing. I only knew him for a few short years, but have heard him tell many wonderful stories. Ed is a legacy in the fleet industry and will be missed greatly. My deepest condolences to Ed's family and the Bobit Business Media family.

18. 18. Larry Janus [ June 29, 2014 @ 04:06PM ]

We've lost an industry icon and friend. My deepest sympathy to the Bobit family and the media team. Ed always had the time to stop and talk, to find out how you were doing, and to share a great story. RIP Coach and we will all miss you.

19. 19. Timothy Fitzgerald [ June 29, 2014 @ 05:23PM ]

truly an industry icon and inspiration in reading of his many exploits. We need all of the information the lessons and the constant help provided to us through media outlets and the many forms of communication. I pray that we first understand the mantle, then take it up in a way that is even handed and just as Ed has done. See you on the other side Sir.

20. 20. Ken Elder [ June 29, 2014 @ 06:29PM ]

Privileged to know Ed for many, many years, I remember him as a communicator of the first order and a friend to the legions of those whose lives he touched. Thanks Ed.

21. 21. Jason Knott [ June 29, 2014 @ 07:27PM ]

So sad to hear of the passing of the "coach". As a former longtime Bobit employee, I had the utmost respect for him. I was lucky to get to see him last fall. My condolences to Ty and the rest of the family.

22. 22. Michele De Veaux [ June 29, 2014 @ 10:13PM ]

What a sad day for the fleet industry. Ed was a great man in our industry. Always there to help; always interested in new ideas and concepts. He will be sorely missed. My condolences to his family and the Bobit Media Team. I shall forever cherish the memories of him at all of the industry functions. May he rest in peace.

23. 23. Matthew Betz [ June 30, 2014 @ 04:15AM ]

Today, we have lost an industry leader, a creative "Coach" and a fine man. No fleet professional has ever built a richer legacy. My thoughts and prayers are with the Bobit and Automotive Fleet families.

24. 24. Sherry Calkins [ June 30, 2014 @ 05:09AM ]

How wonderful to have lived a life where you have touched and influenced so many! Ed was one of the pioneers in the automotive industry and his passion touched so many. I am thankful to have had the pleasure to learn from this man and watch him work a crowd! Thoughts and prayers to the Bobit family and the Automotive Fleet families.

25. 25. Jim McCarthy [ June 30, 2014 @ 05:12AM ]

Thoughts and prayers to the Bobit and AF families from the entire Siemens Fleet Group. Ed was a very special friend and mentor, and his passing will leave a tremenodous void in our industry, as well as in our hearts. RIP Coach Bobit ---- gone, but never forgotten.

26. 26. Paul Harrison [ June 30, 2014 @ 05:15AM ]

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Bobit family. Ed truly loved to talk with people in the fleet industry. He would engage you in conversation, listen to what you said. When I first met him, I called him Mr Bobit. He said "My name is Ed." Being that I was from Madison WI, besides the fleet industry, we would chat about Big 10 sports, the Badger-Spartan rivalry and his midwestern roots in Chicago. Reading the comments above speaks to the legacy he left. As a fleet professional, I thank him for the work he did, shaping our industry.

27. 27. Kelly W Reagan [ June 30, 2014 @ 05:28AM ]

WE should all keep the Bobit family in our prayers - certainly Ed's passion for the fleet industry has created tremendous value and recognition to all involved in this industry. While I did not know Ed personally, he has clearly imprinted his mark of leadership, friendship and love in the many fine individuals that have served and continue to serve within the AF empire. May God's peace and love be with the entire family as they take this time to mourn this tremdous loss.

I/We are sorry for your loss and pray that God will give you peace!

28. 28. Mark Conroy [ June 30, 2014 @ 06:03AM ]

Although we knew his health was failing recently, just hearing of his passing brings back many memories for all of us in the fleet business.. Mike, Sherb and the entire Bobit Media family have lost their leader and all of us have lost a friend. RIP Ed. You lived life to its fullest.

29. 29. Mike Sims [ June 30, 2014 @ 06:05AM ]

The industry has lost an icon. He was a true professional and more important, he was a good friend. i will miss the opportunity to rub shoulders with him. My sincere condolences to his family and to the organization that he built. The coach will be missed.

30. 30. Sue Fensky [ June 30, 2014 @ 06:11AM ]

So sad to hear of Ed's passing. Fleet won't be the same without him. Deepest condolences to his family.

31. 31. Rachel Johnson [ June 30, 2014 @ 06:12AM ]

My deepest sympathies to his family. He will certainly be missed by all who had the pleasure of meeting him and by the automotive fleet industry. His legacy will continue, not only through his children and grandchildren, but through those of whom he inspired and encouraged.

32. 32. Jim McCallum [ June 30, 2014 @ 06:13AM ]

The industry has lost an icon and a truly good guy and I've lost a friend. I will keep the family in my prayers.

33. 33. Kevin Ehret [ June 30, 2014 @ 06:48AM ]

I had always hoped to meet Ed during my career but never got the chance. His larger than life personality made it seem like if you met him once you’d be friends for life. He will be missed!

34. 34. Rick Barr [ June 30, 2014 @ 07:19AM ]

Ed was a true force of Nature, and a wonderful champion of all things Fleet. I'll miss his being in the world. Prayers, condolences and best wishes to the entire family.

35. 35. Neil Abarms [ June 30, 2014 @ 07:32AM ]

Bigger than life character whose all-things-fleet media helped me build a company, kept the industry informed, and served as a great resource. He has left a great legacy. Condolences to his family. He'll be missed.

36. 36. Oleg Cytowicz [ June 30, 2014 @ 07:51AM ]

May Ed's memory be Eternal! My condolences to the family

37. 37. Gloria Rivas [ June 30, 2014 @ 07:58AM ]

An icon in the Automotive Industry. Thanks for your support and words of wisdom over the years. RIP

38. 38. Brenda Davis [ June 30, 2014 @ 08:10AM ]

My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire family. Ed was a great man among men, personally and professionally and will be missed by all.

39. 39. Mark Hayes [ June 30, 2014 @ 08:17AM ]

I had the pleasure of meeting Ed once, at AFLA two years ago. He went out of his way to welcome me to the industry and make me feel like an old friend. He was a genuine, thoughtful leader. He will be missed. My condolences to his family and the Bobit organization for this loss.

40. 40. Tim Kohlsmith [ June 30, 2014 @ 08:31AM ]

It's sad to hear of Ed's passing. He was a good conversationalist and had some great stories. My most sincere condolences to his family.

41. 41. Dean Yerem [ June 30, 2014 @ 08:53AM ]

Prayers go out to the family of a great man. Everytime I had the pleasure of having a conversation with him over the years I came away with something new and a great story. Always had a smile that would light up a room.

42. 42. Mary Sticha [ June 30, 2014 @ 08:56AM ]

So sorry to hear of Ed's passing. He was such a force in the industry and will be greatly missed. My sincerest condolences to the family and the entire Bobit Publishing staff.

43. 43. Charlene Hoover [ June 30, 2014 @ 09:53AM ]

Ed was an icon and will be greatly missed. He always had a smile and a twinkle in his eyes. My condolences to his family. He is leaving a great legacy that will continue through his magazine.

44. 44. Solomon Daniels [ June 30, 2014 @ 10:23AM ]

So sorry to hear of Ed's passing. He was a great man who mentored many and brought the best out in who worked with him. Sincerest condolences to the Bobit family.

45. 45. Elizabeth Munger [ June 30, 2014 @ 10:27AM ]

Ed was a kind and generous man, always willing to give of his time. Always very passionate about the fleet business. An amazing story of how he created Bobit Media! Thank you, Ed!

46. 46. John Schuetz [ June 30, 2014 @ 10:49AM ]

Ed and I were having lunch at Antonello's one day when he gave me a piece of advice on business, as he was likely often to do, he had taken from an Abraham Lincoln quote he felt summed up everything you needed to know to have a successful fleet operation. "Whatever you are be a good one." Ed was truly "a good one."

47. 47. Mark Petersen [ June 30, 2014 @ 10:53AM ]

I was very sorry to hear the news of the loss of Ed. The loss to his family is great as is the loss to our fleet management industry.

48. 48. John Wickersham [ June 30, 2014 @ 11:13AM ]

Ed was the right kind of entrepreneur for business magazine publishing, fully, fully dedicated and passionate about the markets Bobit publications served. Always upbeat. Always big hearted. He will be missed.

49. 49. Larry A. French [ June 30, 2014 @ 11:22AM ]

Ed was one in a million....., thus, there was only one Ed Bobit. In my opinion Ed was the best of the best. I was so very lucky to have been able to have shared the best of times with him from being on the Chrysler Fleet Advisory Board together to AFLA, to having been able to learn and do some much with him in the Fleet profession. I miss you Buddy.

My Deepest Regards, Larry A. French, Farmers Ins., FIG Leasing Co., Inc.

50. 50. Rick D. Longobart [ June 30, 2014 @ 11:37AM ]

Our hearts and prayers go out to the Bobit family as the entire Bobit Media team has given so much back to the industry that can never be repaid. Thank you so much for everything that you have done.

51. 51. Jim Thompson [ June 30, 2014 @ 11:40AM ]

Yesterday, with the death of my friend Ed Bobit, the auto industry lost an advocate and journalist who worked tirelessly to improve the business he loved. His passing has left a void that may never be filled.

I first met Ed in 1981 at a national fleet meeting in Washington D.C. I was a rookie Fleet Manager for Ford Motor Company in the Washington Sales District; I’d been on the job for only a few weeks. I had received an invitation to attend an Automotive Fleet kick off reception. I showed up in my three-piece suit with no idea of what I was doing. As luck would have it, the first person I meet was Ed Bobit. I introduced myself, told him who I was and how long I had been in the ‘fleet business.’

He gave me a strong handshake, laughed loudly, slapped me on the back and said, “Jim, let’s get a drink. You stick with me this evening and I’ll introduce you to everyone.”

He was good to his word. He introduced me to everyone that evening and kept up a steady conversation to give me a semester of Fleet 101 in one night. A night I will never forget and one of reason I stayed in the fleet business for most of the rest of my automotive career.

This is a story we always remember with a great laugh every time we met over the next thirty plus years. With Ed’s energy and his involvement with nearly facet of the car business, we saw each other often. Ed will be missed by his many friends.

Thank you, Mr. Bobit. RIP

52. 52. Steve Kibler [ June 30, 2014 @ 11:56AM ]

Our industry has lost one of its most loved and vocal advocates. Through written admonition to countless CEO's and elected officials who ignorantly assumed fleet managment was not a complex job, Bob has elevated our profession it rightful place in the business world. Good bye old friend, RIP.

53. 53. Rob Mancuso [ June 30, 2014 @ 12:05PM ]

I'l miss Ed's great smile and handshake at NADA, every year like clockwork. What a perfect representative of the greatest generation ever. We'll all miss you, Ed.

54. 54. Christy Coyte Meyer [ June 30, 2014 @ 01:07PM ]

Ed was a legend and will be missed -- especially that big smile and great sense of humor. Condolences to the Bobit and AF families.

55. 55. Dean Smith [ June 30, 2014 @ 01:18PM ]

Bob Berke introduced me to at my first NAFA meeting in 1967. We kept in touch when I managed corporate fleets in Chicago, Orlando, and Houston. I often think about the good time at the Chicago Chapter of NAFA. One night in particular, he help with a skit satirizing good and bad fleet manager and dealers where the ending was hitting me in the face with a cream pie. Those were the good old days and he never changed. The last time we spent quality time was at the Gas Light Club for lunch. Wish he were here to shake hands and talk about "Those Were the Days!" I am sure he will be shaking hands with Don Fenton and all those others who have passed in reliving those days in in Chicago. Wish we could have lunch at 22 East Jackson or Binions one more time old friend. Our best wishes to the family and his Automotive Fleet family.

56. 56. Steven Stein [ June 30, 2014 @ 03:50PM ]

I started working for Bobit Publishing when the company had only 25 employees as a graphic artist and worked for the company many years, I was young when I walked in to Bobit Publishing and Ed was always there for me and all his employees. Ed was a very great man.

57. 57. Bob Barton [ June 30, 2014 @ 05:21PM ]

The man was a legend....I first met Ed, some 18+ years ago at the Car Rental Show. We shared a mutual love of cigars, and a good joke. Over the years, part of my annual pilgrimage to the various manufacturer fleet shows, was to bring along a special new cigar for Ed. Last year after he became ill, I switched to sending him copies of Cigar Aficionado magazine. I could go 12 months without seeing or hearing from Ed, but that smile was contagious and he never forgot a name or a face. I remember the first time he met my wife at a dinner three years ago and she commented that he was one of the most charismatic people she had ever met. I could not have said it better myself. Godspeed Ed. Save a seat for me on the highway to heaven.

58. 58. Curtis Daniel III [ June 30, 2014 @ 06:54PM ]

I'm Curtis Daniel, I'm from Carson, California.. I attended Michigan State on a football scholarship from 1990-1995

I met coach way back in 1991, Coach was kind enough to give me a job whenever I came home for a break.

Didn't matter if it was an Xmas break, a summer break, or spring break, anytime I was home and wanted to werk he allowed me to do so

Being 19 years old, I really didn't know "how to werk"... I use to clock in, go find an empty office to sleep in, or just go home all together

One day coach found out, he pulled me into an empty conference room and he talked to me ..... I'll never forget what he said to me ... He simply asked me "what's the matter, why would you do this to him, he said I pay you fair, I treat you right don't i, there are all kinda of people out there who would kill for ur job"

That little conversation right there changed my life, after that I got to werk early and stayed late, I proceeded to paint all the walls in his building (inside and out )

Coach taught me how to deal with people, he could of and probably should have fired me, but instead he "coached" me thru that little situation

This July the company that I own will be celebrating it's 20th anniversery, and I'm proud to say that coach was one of the few people I called for advice ... And as I sit back and look at how I run and operate my business I can see his influence all over it

I'm so glad I thanked Mr. Bobit every time I saw him or spoke to him, im so happy that I went to see him everytime I came to California, I'm so happy that I told him how I felt about him while he was still here .... I'm so happy I got to see my friend at the rose bowl game and boy were we both happy that our Spartans won

I'm gonna miss my yearly Christmas cards

Rest easy Coach

Love ya,

Curtis

59. 59. Patsy Brownson [ June 30, 2014 @ 08:51PM ]

Sunday, June 29th marked the end of a fleet industry icon. I have so many stories, cherished memories and life lessons from the "Coach" that I could fill volumes. I met Ed in the early 80's along with Milo Matick, Don Fenton and George Weimer. As a naive, young fleet manager, you could not ask for any better guidance. I was truly blessed to have been taken under their tutelage. Now Ed has joined his buddies again. I can just see the four of them looking down on their minions smiling and admiring their work. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and his media family. Here's to a legend and the legacy he build for and left to us!

60. 60. Doreen Paris [ June 30, 2014 @ 11:53PM ]

Very sad to hear this news, Ed was one of the first people I met when I entered the fleet world. He was always there for a bit of advice. Deepest sympathies to the Bobit family.

61. 61. Dennis Cavagnaro [ July 01, 2014 @ 07:29AM ]

Many staff members at Merchants have had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Ed Bobit over the years. Each time we found a friendly, enthusiastic man loving his place as the ambassador of the fleet Industry. He was the center of the action, a smart focused businessman, a big personality, and the developer of a publishing empire; a true entrepreneur.

On behalf of The Singer Family and Merchants Fleet Management, we offer our condolences to the Bobit family and organization on the passing of this great leader and friend. A donation has been made to the Torrance Memorial Healthcare Foundation in Ed’s memory.

We will miss Ed, but his legacy is alive and all around us in the Fleet Management Industry.

~The Team from Merchants Fleet Management

62. 62. Ronald Reahard [ July 01, 2014 @ 07:31AM ]

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Bobit family. Our industry has truly lost a great innovator, and all of us who knew Ed, have lost good friend. Ed was someone who went out of his way to help others. He was a huge part of helping us get our company get off the ground by giving us high visibility in his publications. Publishing our articles and having us speak at the conventions he sponsored gave us an opportunity that was available nowhere else. Ed Bobit helped make our success, and the success of countless companies, possible. He was truly a leader, a great friend, and someone who genuinely cared about others. I looked forward to seeing his smile at every convention. He will be missed by everyone who knew him.

63. 63. Debbie Mize [ July 01, 2014 @ 07:55AM ]

My deepest sympathy to the Bobit family and the Automotive Fleet family. Ed was such a great icon who touched so many lives and did so much for the Fleet industry, We will miss Ed and his wonderful personality, smile and great stories. What a great leader, good friend and icon. Milo introduced me to Ed in the late 70's and both have helped me so much in my career over the years. Ed, Milo, Don & George were quite a group and I'm sure they will be looking down with smiles on all of us. What a legacy Ed left us all.

64. 64. Demetra Markopoulos [ July 01, 2014 @ 08:20AM ]

I heard the sad news about Ed. My deepest condolences to all of you and the Bobit family. He truly was a great man and his legacy will live on in the industry.

65. 65. Ed Peper [ July 01, 2014 @ 08:23AM ]

Ed Bobit is a legend in the fleet and commercial industry, and a great friend to all who knew him. He was a trusted advisor to many and as a former member of our Commercial Sounding Board, he ensured that the collective commercial customers’ voice was always heard. He was fondly called “Coach” due to his warmth, his wealth of knowledge, his desire to share information and his willingness to mentor. His positive influence on the entire industry is unmistakable and his contribution will long be remembered. Current and former members of the GM Fleet & Commercial organization extend our deepest sympathy to the entire Bobit family, and staff at Bobit Business Media as they mourn the loss of a great man.

66. 66. Robert Fecher [ July 01, 2014 @ 08:35AM ]

My condolences to the entire Bobit family and the Bobit media team. Ed was a truly amazing individual that, in my opinion, literally made the fleet industry what it is today. He was truly a larger than life person that earned the respect of anyone who met him with his commitment to his family, knowledge, wit and enthusiasm. I always enjoyed our time together. He will be missed. Godspeed Ed!

67. 67. Jonathan Kamanns [ July 01, 2014 @ 08:36AM ]

I’m very sorry to hear of Ed’s passing. My deepest condolences to the Bobit family and the Bobit media-family.
    Ed was a thread in the Fleet landscape; intertwined and cohesive. He surely won’t be forgotten and his legacy will live on for many, many years to come.

68. 68. Joe LaRosa [ July 01, 2014 @ 08:37AM ]

I woke up to the sad news about Ed’s passing and wanted to offer my sincere condolences to you and the entire Bobit family and extended family. He will be missed and was truly an icon. I will miss his columns, especially learning from them even after 20 years in the fleet business. I always looked for his editorials in AF! May he rest in peace and I am sure he is looking down upon all of us and saluting us with a huge grin wishing us well. If there is anything I can do for you and the team please let me know. All the best regards.

69. 69. Lori Rasmussen [ July 01, 2014 @ 08:38AM ]

I am very sorry to hear the news that Ed passed away. I just wanted to pass along my personal condolences along with every here on the PARS Team. Ed was always a very warm and kind man, who will be greatly missed. Please pass along our thoughts and prayers to his family and everyone on the Bobit Business Media team.

Thank you and my thoughts are with you as you honor Ed and the loss of a great friend.

70. 70. Thierry Degives [ July 01, 2014 @ 08:42AM ]

It is with great sadness that we've learnt of the passing of Ed Bobit, the founder and inspirator of Bobit Business Media.

Please accept, in the name of all of us here at Nexus Communication, our sincere condolences with your great loss. Our thoughts go out to Ed's family, and to everyone at his company, to whom he was so devoted. We share your pain in these difficult days, but we also count ourselves lucky that we had the chance to get to know Ed, and were able to appreciate him both for his genuine humanity and his professional dedication to the trade we shared with him, and with you.

We at Nexus will remember Ed for his warmth, his business acumen, his extraordinary commitment to the company and his dedication to his family. We're convinced that Ed's co-workers will honour him by perpetuating his professionalism and his human warmth, and will propel Bobit Business Media to even greater heights.

To Ed's family, to his son Ty, to his fellow workers, all of us at Nexus present our deepest sympathies.

71. 71. Bob Graham [ July 01, 2014 @ 08:44AM ]

I just saw the eNews that Ed passed away. He was a great guy who did a lot for our industry and will surely be missed.

72. 72. Stephen Houston [ July 01, 2014 @ 08:44AM ]

I am so very sorry for your loss. I have nothing but fond memories of the good times with Ed. We will all miss him, but I am sure that none of us will miss him more than his extended family at Bobit Media.

73. 73. Bret R. Watson [ July 01, 2014 @ 08:47AM ]

I am sorry to hear about Ed. I was hoping he would be with us a few more years. He is the last of the generation that began the fleet industry. He will be missed.

74. 74. Mark Klein [ July 01, 2014 @ 08:49AM ]

Please accept my deepest condolences to you and to all our dear friends at Bobit Business Media on the passing of Ed. My words cannot properly express the wonderful impact Ed had on so many people. We will miss him greatly.

75. 75. John Alley [ July 01, 2014 @ 08:50AM ]

My condolences to all of you and the Bobit family! I was sadden to hear of Ed’s passing this morning when I got into work. Ed was the pioneer of this family we call fleet. I valued not only his friendship, but his knowledge, experience and valued insight into all we do. He will be missed. Peace and strength in this difficult time to all!

76. 76. john mc corkhill [ July 01, 2014 @ 09:31AM ]

My fleet career is now in its 32nd year and much of my fleet education came from the Bobit publications I read especially the commentaries from Ed on the inside back cover of Automotive Fleet. I knew Ed and he knew me but I probably knew him much more than he knew me. I never sat at a conference table with Ed, never shared a drink with him at cocktail time and never shared a deep conversation with him like many of those folks who sent their earlier condolences can attest to but I still feel like I've lost a dear friend. Rest in peace Mr. Bobit

77. 77. J. J. Keig CAFM [ July 01, 2014 @ 11:33AM ]

Ed Bobit was a family man, an innovator, leader, and successful business man. Above all, he was a very dear friend. Of the thousands of people he knew and did business with over the years – he probably knew your name without hesitation. Ed could be a hard charger and also very personable at the same time. Ed embodied the charm and solid traits of a generation ago that are more relevant, yet lacking of today. His contributions to both the fleet industry, and also the publishing industry cannot be adequately counted by any means. Ed will be equally missed by all those who have met him. Ed leaves a true legacy of a honorable gentleman.

78. 78. The ARI Family [ July 01, 2014 @ 12:49PM ]

Everyone at ARI was saddened to hear the news about Ed. His outspoken passion for the fleet industry, both through his publications and his activism, sparked advancements in the industry and inspired the professional growth of many of our industry’s leaders. We appreciate the support that Ed gave to ARI over the years. We will miss him as an innovator, a thought leader and as a friend.

79. 79. Rodney Ruth [ July 01, 2014 @ 02:31PM ]

The Auto Driveaway Family would like to pass along our condolences on the passing of Ed. I know personally I didn’t have many interaction with him but when I did I was always greeted with a smile and my name!

80. 80. Douglas Condra [ July 01, 2014 @ 06:28PM ]

So sorry to hear of Ed's passing. He was one of the most delightful people I have ever known and I am proud to have had him as a friend.

As you may know, I met your Dad around 1970 when I was a neophyte editor working at Automotive News in Detroit. I'd heard his name bandied about--always with admiration--by others in the business, and while covering the Chicago Auto Show, ran into him in a hospitality suite. I liked him immediately; he was very friendly and gracious, even though I was a complete unknown and he was an important publisher.

Later, at a Ford truck press event in Carmel, CA, he offered me an editorial job with Trucking Business. I was very flattered and tempted, but I was already committed to the HDT job in Newport Beach. I often have wondered how I'd have done with Bobit--but I know that working with Ed would've been great fun--as well as a lot of hard work.

Our paths crossed quite often over the years, notably at industry events. I'll never forget our Fiat trip to Italy. Ed was, of course, the life of the party (it became a party due primarily to his presence). We ate and drank at the best places, and he charmed every waiter and waitress--even though they didn't understand a word he said except "Delicioso!" at virtually every meal.

81. 81. Bill Bentz [ July 01, 2014 @ 08:35PM ]

You can't help but smile when you think about Ed Bobit. I met Ed for the first time in 1988 at an AFLA meeting in New York City and am a better person for it. He had a way of making someone, anyone, feel like they were the most important person in the room every time you spoke with him. I cherish those late night sessions listening to story after story told by Ed, Don, Milo and George. Sincere sympathies to the Bobit family, the folks at Bobit Business Media and to those ordinary folks like us who will truly miss him. Ed loved quotations and this one from Andy Bernard of "The Office" seems to fit. "I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them." Rest well my friend.

82. 82. Al Brooks, Fleet Mgr.Park [ July 02, 2014 @ 10:25AM ]

One of the greatest men I ever met has passed away. We will all miss him deeply. I remember many years ago calling him on the phone with a question and he spoke to me as if we had been friends for a lifetime. There's not much more we all could say that we haven't said already. Except it's not goodbye dear friend, it's see you soon dear friend. In my Father's house there are many Mansions, I go to prepare a place for you, if it wasn't so I would tell you. When we all get to heaven, what glorious day that will be, when we all see Jesus we'll sing and shout the Victory.

83. 83. Michel Martinez [ July 02, 2014 @ 12:20PM ]

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all the family. He will be missed.
    ~Gallagher Automotive Services

84. 84. Daniel W. Krueger, Ph.D. [ July 02, 2014 @ 05:19PM ]

He led a life of inspiration - and may that inspiration continue on for generations to come. May we all reflect warmly on the way Ed changed our personal lives for the better and then in his honor pay that forward.

85. 85. Kristi Webb [ July 03, 2014 @ 09:03AM ]

Like Clarence, Ed warmly welcomed me to the Fleet industry. I was able to meet him in person last year in Arizona. He was a true advocate and friend to our industry. Ed will be greatly missed.

86. 86. Michael Steffensen [ July 03, 2014 @ 12:30PM ]

Ed Bobit had a great passion for the fleet industry. His family is in my prayers.

87. 87. John F. Possumato [ July 04, 2014 @ 09:47AM ]

As I commented a few days ago on Mike Antich’s very eloquent remembrance, Ed was truly one of those larger than life icons on of the industry, and so dynamic in everything he did that, I, as I’m sure many others in the business, will feel this void and loss without him for some time to come. I had the good fortune to know Ed since the mid-eighties, from the time I entered the industry, and he was one of the best folks I ever met in the car (or any other) business, one of the rare few who would stick by you through good times and bad, and as I said always somehow made you smile in the process. There aren't many like him left anymore, but the world would be irrefutably be a much better place if there were... My condolence go out to Ed’s family, person and professional, and all those many friends, who, like me, will miss his observations and presence at the many industry happenings and events that always seemed better with his interaction.

88. 88. Robert L. Johnson [ July 04, 2014 @ 12:51PM ]

Our prayers got out to Mr Ed Bobit Family May God bring comfort to your hearts during this time...Jay SwifT Transportation Fontana Ca.

89. 89. Ray Breault, Warren Feire [ July 07, 2014 @ 08:28AM ]

We were truly saddened by the recent passing of Ed Bobit Executive Director and Founder of Bobit Publications and AFLA. Ed had been a close friend to us personally, and many association(s) members for many years particularly during the early growth years for the NAFA and AFLA Associations. Ed was an inspiration to the Fleet industry providing immeasurable direction and advice to all. Proudly we can remember numerous times butting heads with Ed over associations matters, always resolving issues on a friendly basis. Ed was always there when we needed him and measurably made suggestions and contributions to support our association's causes as well as his own. Ed and his humor will be missed by all. Unfortunately, many younger members of our fleet community are not privileged knowing the man as well as we surviving "old timers." Rest in Peace Ed, we miss you dearly.
    -Al Cavalli (1968-70), Ray Breault (1977-78) and Warren Feirer (1979-81) Past Presidents of NAFA

90. 90. Tony Long, IARA Exec. Dir [ July 07, 2014 @ 11:47AM ]

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Ed Bobit. He was a "bigger than life" individual to many of us. When I became president of NAAA in 2003, and some 10 years later when I became the IARA's executive director, one thing went to the top of the agenda... Go to California and have lunch with Ed Bobit! When you met with Ed, you always felt appreciated and a bit taller as you walked away... He mastered the art of being a gentleman. He most certainly will be sorely missed by all.

91. 91. Levi McCoy [ July 07, 2014 @ 12:00PM ]

I knew Mr. Bobit as the epitome of class! Always friendly and reaching out his hand for a firm hand shake. I spoke with Mr. Bobit last at his table inside the Paris Effel Tower Restaurant during CAR. He will be missed.

92. 92. Robert (Skip) Otto [ July 07, 2014 @ 07:50PM ]

Where would we be without the influence of the Coach?He took matters in his own hands when he heard I was getting married to a Hermosa Beach girl,and said "well lets have a party" and so we did.He treated me like family.His love for his family sets an example for everyone of us.A big man with vision,honesty,and a heart big enough for all.I will miss you coach.

93. 93. Brett T. Switzky [ July 08, 2014 @ 03:23PM ]

I just wanted to send my sincere condolences to you and the Bobit Business Media Family for your loss of Ed.

He was always such a prominent fixture at all the fleet events I’ve been too, and his smiling face will greatly be missed at these events.

I can’t begin to thank Ed for all the contributions he made in the past/present that paved a future in the fleet business for people like myself.

Truly Sorry for your loss.

94. 94. Jim Treece [ July 14, 2014 @ 01:58PM ]

I never met the man, and I work for a publication that sometimes, very tangentially, competes with some of the Bobit Media publications. But I've seen their magazines, attended one or two of their conferences, and cross paths with their reporters and editors at journalism conferences. Those experiences left me with a solid respect for their journalistic professionalism, and that sort of thing starts at the top. My condolences to his family.

Your Comment

Please note that comments may be moderated.
Your Name:
Your Email:

View information regarding fleet incentives and other fleet-related programs direct from the major manufacturers.