Rhode Island’s Governor Lincoln D. Chafee has issued an order that restricts motor vehicle travel on specific routes in the state, including I-95, I-195, RI-146, RI-24 and I-295. The travel restrictions began at 5 p.m. on Friday and will remain in effect until further notice.
- Vehicles and drivers excluded from this ban include the following:
- Public safety vehicles and workers, including contract personnel;
- Public works vehicles and workers, including contract personnel;
- Government officials on official business;
- Utility company vehicles and workers;
- Health care workers who travel to and from work in order to provide essential health services;
- News media;
- Travel necessary to maintain and deliver critical private sector services such as energy, fuel supplies, financial systems and critical commodities;
- Travel to support business operations that provide critical services to the public, including gas stations, food stores and hardware stores.