Here are some winter driving tips, culled from the Minnesota Driver's Manual, you may want to pass along to your fleet drivers.
- Remove snow and ice from your vehicle's hood, windows and lights before driving.
- Make sure your windshield wiper fluid contains antifreeze.
- Get the feel of the road: try your brakes while driving slowly to test the road surface.
- Adjust your speed to road conditions.
- Avoid using cruise control on slippery roads.
- If your vehicle becomes stuck on ice or snow, try to free your vehicle by "rocking" it back and forth. Keep the front wheels straight and slowly drive forward, then backward, as far as possible, without spinning the tires. Accelerate gently when the tires grip. If your vehicle starts to slide or your tires start to spin, apply the brake and repeat this operation in the opposite direction.