MEMPHIS, TN - A total of eleven drivers representing FedEx Corp. were honored at the 2009 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC) in Pittsburgh Aug. 18-22. Sponsored by The American Trucking Associations (ATA), the event is known as the "Super Bowl of Safety," to recognize industry leadership in safety and to promote professionalism among truck drivers.
Ninety-eight professional drivers from 41 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express, FedEx National LTL, and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the national event by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. Each driver was required to demonstrate his or her driving skills and knowledge of the industry through a series of tests, including a written exam, vehicle pre-trip inspection, and a difficult driving-skills challenge.
- Don Logan, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Topeka, Kan., won the top spot in the 3-Axle class. A professional driver for 22 years, he has accumulated more than 1.25 million accident-free miles.
- Mark McLean, a FedEx Freight driver domiciled in Newburgh, N.Y., captured the National Champion title in the Twins class. A four-time New York state champ, he has safely driven more than 1 million miles during his 20-year driving career.
- FedEx Freight driver Troy Swenson earned first place in the 5-Axle Sleeper class. Based in Watertown, S.D., he has accumulated more than 360,000 safe-driving miles during his 14 years as a professional driver.
- FedEx Ground contractor David Thompson, domiciled in Little Rock, Ark., won the inaugural title in the Step Van class. He has racked up more than 240,000 accident-free miles in his 15 years on the road.
Six other FedEx drivers placed among the top finishers in their respective truck classes:
- Brian Clark, a 23-year safe driver for FedEx Express in Indianapolis, finished second in the 3-Axle class.
- FedEx Freight driver Jon Hume (St. Louis), a professional driver for nearly three decades, was second in the Tank Truck class.
- Brent Glasenapp, a driver for FedEx Express (Milwaukee) and a four-time Wisconsin state champ, took third place in the Straight Truck class.
- Joe Mangiaracino, a FedEx Freight driver in St. Clair, Mo., earned third place in the 3-Axle class. He was the Missouri Driver of the Month in January 2009.
- FedEx Ground contractor's drivers Joe LeBlanc (Seaford, Del.) and Nick Paradiso (Portland, Ore.) completed the FedEx sweep of the Step Van class by finishing second and third, respectively.
In addition, Bernie Spine, a 26-year driver for FedEx Express in Williston, Vt., won the Vehicle Condition Award. The honor is presented annually to the NTDC competitor who is judged to have the best Pre-Trip Inspection methods and equipment knowledge.
"The 75,000-plus drivers of FedEx vehicles actively promote safely sharing the roads with other motorists every time they sit behind the wheel," said Frederick Smith, chairman, president and chief executive officer, FedEx Corp. "The performance of the FedEx competitors at the NTDC reaffirms this fundamental commitment to safety and professionalism that's at the heart of everything our driving team does."
Originally posted on Work Truck Online