There’s no doubt that rapidly evolving technology has and will continue to change the transportation and mobility landscape. Furthermore, many drivers experience new automotive technologies for the first time in rental vehicles.
As a result, Enterprise Holdings’ fleet of 2 million “virtual cars” is well positioned to quickly and efficiently introduce millions of consumers to new fuel and vehicle technology, especially as transportation infrastructure and alternatives, including autonomous vehicles, evolve in the future. For example, Enterprise Rent-A-Car – the world’s largest car rental provider – recently announced a partnership with General Motors to add more than 100,000 connected Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles to its fleet in the next 12 months.
Enterprise Fleet Management, an affiliate of Enterprise Holdings, has also invested millions of dollars into developing state-of-the-art technology to help its customers improve productivity and reduce total cost of ownership. For instance, Enterprise Fleet Management’s new mobile app allows drivers to update vehicle information in real time and on the go, informing the web-based client portal – making it easier for fleet managers to monitor and manage all aspects of their fleet. Partnering with a fleet management company like Enterprise Fleet Management ensures companies, government agencies and organizations stay up-to-date on industry trends and benefit from the latest fleet and vehicle technologies.
Enterprise, as a total transportation solutions provider, always looks for new technological advancements in an ongoing effort to improve the overall customer experience. In fact, innovation has played a key role in Enterprise’s growth and success since it was founded more than 60 years ago.
Read below to see how the company is investing in mobility and technology solutions for the future:
Strategic Acquisitions & Investments
Enterprise Holdings’ acquisition and corporate venture-capital strategy continues to focus on technologies and business models that not only can accelerate industry-leading transportation solutions, but also customer satisfaction in a rapidly changing marketplace.
In 2007, Enterprise purchased the National and Alamo brands – its largest acquisition to date – and significantly increased its airport presence and global travel industry leadership. Since 2008, Enterprise has made acquisitions and corporate-venture capital investments or commitments in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., France, Ireland, Spain, Brazil and China. Acquisitions include car rental companies, carshare operations, technology platforms and franchises.
The company currently makes capital investments or commitments through its wholly owned entity, Clayton Venture Partners, which invests in post-revenue companies that have proven business models and an emphasis on emerging transportation technology and mobility.
During FY2018, Enterprise Holdings completed new investments in Mobi, a human-centric real-time routing, assessment and planning technology company; and Migo, a multi-modal ground transportation metasearch app; as well as others that have yet to be announced.
Other publicly disclosed investments include:
- Mobileye, a developer of vision-based advanced driver-assistance systems (sold to Intel 2017).
- Deem, a managed travel technology platform.
- Quanergy, a leading autonomous vehicle sensor company.
- Coolfire Solutions, an IoT (Internet of Things) and situational-awareness technology platform.
While investments in emerging technologies plant seeds for future services, Enterprise Holdings and its affiliates are also committed to the kind of innovation, problem-solving and industry leadership that helps customers meet their current mobility needs today and in the future. For example, during FY2018, they:
- Partnered with Voyage, a company that is developing autonomous automotive options for communities across North America.
- Participated in a New York City carsharing program that dedicates hundreds of parking spots in more than a dozen neighborhoods in four boroughs.
- Helped businesses run their truck fleets more efficiently and meet new federal operating standards with Enterprise Telematics.
- Published an article in the ITE (Institute of Transportation Engineers) Journal: “The Value of Vanpooling as a Strategic, Cost-effective and Sustainable Transportation Option."
- Kicked off a new “Move Forward” marketing campaign that explores how innovators are using transportation technology to improve modern cities.