General Motors increased fleet sales in the second quarter due partly to strong sales of its Chevrolet Colorado midsize pickup.
 - Photo courtesy of GM.

General Motors increased fleet sales in the second quarter due partly to strong sales of its Chevrolet Colorado midsize pickup.

Photo courtesy of GM.

General Motors increased commercial deliveries in the first half of the year by 14% and by 4% in the second quarter compared to a year ago, the company has announced.

The company attributed the improved results to "very strong" sales of its Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon midsize as well as its Silverado and Sierra large pickups.

"Commercial customers tell us they prefer to do business with a company that can satisfy all their vehicle needs, and sedans are an important part of the mix because they typically offer very good safety, comfort, fuel economy and a lower total cost of ownership than other vehicle choices," said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of sales operations. "Some automakers are scaling back their car offerings at the same time we are investing in the Chevrolet Cruze and Malibu, and expanding our truck and crossover portfolio. We see a terrific opportunity to forge new and stronger customer relationships with such a broad portfolio."

In the second quarter, General Motors delivered more than 758,000 vehicles in the U.S.

Second quarter sales at Chevrolet and GMC grew 6% and 7% respectively, while industry sales are estimated to be up as much as 2%. Cadillac sales were up 3% and GM's overall sales were up 5% for an estimated market share of 16.6%, which was up 0.5%.

The company also announced it will be expanding production of its Chevrolet Bolt EV in the fourth quarter by more than 20% over current levels. Second-quarter sales of the vehicle increased more than 35% from a year ago.

Retail incentive spending as a precentage of ATP reached 13.4% in the quarter, which fell from the 13.8% in the first quarter. The industry average was 11.8% in the quarter.


Related: Commercial Fleet Sales Increase 7.9% in June

0 Comments