The Chevrolet Silverado HD has received significant updates and enhancements for the 2021 model-year, including an available max tow rating of up to 36,000 pounds and a multitude of trailering technology features.
For 2021, Chevrolet engineers increased the max towing capacity 500 pounds for an available best-in-class max tow rating of up to 36,000 pounds on Silverado 3500 HD Work Truck, Regular Cab, dual-rear-wheel, two-wheel-drive models equipped with the 6.6L Duramax diesel and 10-speed Allison transmission, and Max Tow Package. Hardware updates to the suspension and packaging changes to the wheels helped achieve the new tow rating, which is certified to SAE J2807 standards.
The truck also features 15 unique camera views and eight cameras to assist with towing. Additional trailering updates and enhancements include:
- Trailer Length Indicator: When making a lane-change maneuver with the turn signal activated, a red overlay twice the length of the compatible trailer is shown on the center console screen, which can help show when other vehicles are present.
- Jack-Knife Alert: Tracks the position of the compatible trailer in relation to the vehicle and provides an alert if a potential jack-knife situation is imminent.
- Cargo Bed View enhancement: Cargo Bed Zoom View and Bed Hitch Guidance are now available, which help to align and hook up a gooseneck/fifth-wheel trailer.
- Rear Trailer View now features guidelines and Trailer-Angle Indicator: Enhanced to include assisting guidelines when backing a compatible trailer into place and a Trailer-Angle Indicator shows the relationship between the truck and trailer.
- Rear Side View enhancement: Provides a split view, automatically biased based on the trailer’s angle, of the left and right sides of the truck and compatible trailer. This view was previously only available while driving forward and is now available in Reverse for better visibility when positioning a trailer.
Additional available and standard equipment on the 2021 Silverado HD lineup includes: Chevrolet is also offering four versions for the HD lineup: Carhartt Special Edition, Midnight Edition, Z71 Sport Edition, and Z71 Chrome Sport Edition. Midnight Edition, Z71 Sport Edition, and Z71 Chrome Sport Edition will all be available in late 2020. The Carhartt Special Edition starts production fall 2020.
- Bed View Camera display located in a rearview mirror screen insert now available on Work Truck, Custom, and LT.
- Bed View Camera display located in the infotainment screen now standard on High Country and available on LTZ and LT.
- SiriusXM radio and OnStar now available on Work Truck and standard on LT.
- Safety Confidence Package available on Work Truck and Custom. Package includes Forward Collision Alert, Automatic Emergency Braking, Driver Information Center, and Steering Wheel Audio Controls.
- Wireless Phone Projection on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto standard for LTZ and High Country, and available on LT.
- Front center console with storage now standard on Work Truck and Custom.
- Two new exterior colors available: Mosaic Black Metallic and Cherry Red Tintcoat.
The 2021 Silverado HD models began production in September and are arriving at Chevrolet dealerships throughout fall 2020.
Originally posted on Work Truck Online
See all comments