SAN ANTONIO – The Texas Auto Writers Association (TAWA) hosts its annual Truck Rodeo every year.
Some of the notable wins include TAWA naming Ford’s F-150 the “Truck of Texas.” Ford also won top honors in seven other categories. TAWA named Ford’s EcoBoost engine technology the best vehicle feature. TAWA also named Ford as having the Truck Line of Texas for the 12th consecutive year.
TAWA named Chrysler's Jeep Grand Cherokee the SUV of Texas. The association named the Dodge Durango the Full-size SUV of Texas. In addition, the association named the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit the Luxury SUV of Texas.
A total of 48 vehicles were entered in the rodeo. The 57 registered members of TAWA evaluated the vehicles. TAWA is one of the largest associations of auto writers in the U.S.
The list of winners is shown below:
- Truck of Texas: 2012 Ford F-150.
- Truck Line of Texas: 2012 Ford lineup of trucks.
- Full-size Pickup Truck: First, 2012 Ford F-150; second, 2012 Ram 1500; third, Chevrolet 1500.
- Heavy-Duty Pickup Truck: First, 2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch; second, 2012 Ram 2500 HD Power Wagon; third, 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD.
- Mid-size Pickup Truck: First, Nissan Frontier; second, 2012 Toyota Tacoma.
- Luxury Pickup Truck: First, 2012 Ford F-150 Platinum; second, 2012 Ram 2500 HD Mega Cab Laramie Longhorn; third, 2012 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD.
- Outstanding Feature of Texas: Ford EcoBoost engine technology.
- SUV of Texas: Jeep Grand Cherokee.
- Mid-size SUV: First, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; second, Toyota 4Runner; third, Toyota FJ Cruiser.
- Full-size SUV: First, Dodge Durango; second, Jeep Grand Cherokee; third, Chevrolet Tahoe.
- Compact Vehicle of Texas: Ford Edge.
- Compact SUV: First, Nissan Xterra; second, Jeep Compass; third, VW Tiguan.