The Detroit City Council on April 2 approved settling two lawsuits filed by the families of Detroit residents who were struck — one fatally — by city employees who had been drinking and were driving city vehicles, according to the Detroit Free Press
newspaper. The vote settled a lawsuit for $3.9 million that had been filed by the father of a 39-year-old woman who was killed in 2002 when a water department truck hit her. Police said the driver of the city vehicle had been drinking, according to the newspaper article. The driver was fired by the city shortly thereafter.The second lawsuit was settled for $5.5 million. In that 2002 case, an 18-year-old boy was paralyzed after being hit by a water department car. "We're paying huge amounts for this," said Councilwoman Alberta Tinsley-Talabi. "We have to send a clear message. We are not going to tolerate this."