2015 Tahoe, Suburban Add LTE Connectivity
2015-MY Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban (PHOTO: General Motors)
General Motors is adding OnStar 4G LTE with a standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot, wireless phone charging capability and a hands-free lift-gate to the 2015 Tahoe and Suburban starting in October.
Chevrolet is the first and only car brand to bring built-in 4G LTE Wi-Fi to cars, trucks and crossovers, according to the automaker. The feature could appeal to police fleets as a factory option that could increase resale value of the vehicle, said Robert Wheeler, a GM fleet communications manager.
OnStar with 4G LTE with a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot is standard on LT and LTZ models. The hotspot is on whenever the vehicle is on and comes with a three-month/three gigabyte data trial (whichever comes first), after which the customer can purchase additional data.
The hands-free liftgate and wireless phone charging are included with the available Luxury Package on LT models and they’re standard on LTZ. The hands-free liftgate feature allows a customer with a keyless entry fob to open and close the liftgate by waving his or her foot under a sensor beneath the rear fascia.
With the wireless phone charging feature, a magnetic inductive charging system allows users to simply place their phone on a small mat in the vehicle, where it wirelessly charges.
All-new features for 2015 include:
- A Front Center Air Bag (bucket seat models) that deploys from the inboard side of the driver’s seat and inflates between the driver and front passenger, providing added protection for both front occupants in side-impact crashes
- Fold-flat second- and third-row seats that enhance cargo convenience – including an available power-folding feature
- Up to six USB ports and six power outlets – including a 110-volt three-prong outlet – to support electronic devices of all kinds for a total of up to 12 charging locations
- Available rear-seat entertainment system with Blu-ray DVD player
- Conversation mirror in the overhead console that provides a panoramic view of the rear seats
- Keyless entry and push-button start
- Up to 94.7 cubic feet of cargo room behind the front seats with the rear seats folded in Tahoe and up to 121.1 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats folded in Suburban.