Toyota Recalling 2.5 Million Vehicles to Fix Driver's Side Power Window Master Switch
TORRANCE, CA – Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. is recalling approximately 2.5 million vehicles to inspect and apply special fluorine grease to the driver’s side power window master switch.
The vehicles involved include:
• 2007 to 2008 Yaris (approx. 110,300)
• 2007 to 2009 RAV4 (approx. 336,400)
• 2007 to 2009 Tundra (approx. 337,100)
• 2007 to 2009 Camry (approx. 938,100)
• 2007 to 2009 Camry Hybrid (approx. 116,800)
• 2008 to 2009 Scion xD (approx. 34,400)
• 2008 to 2009 Scion xB (approx. 77,500)
• 2008 to 2009 Sequoia (approx. 38,500)
• 2008 Highlander (approx. 135,400)
• 2008 Highlander Hybrid (approx. 23,200)
• 2009 Corolla (approx. 270,900)
• 2009 Matrix (approx. 53,800).
The driver’s side power window master switch may experience a “notchy” or sticky feel during operation. If commercially available lubricants are applied to the switch in an attempt to address this condition, melting of the switch assembly or smoke could occur and lead to a fire under some circumstances.
The “notchy” or sticky feel may be caused by an uneven application of the grease during the switch assembly process at the supplier. If the grease is not applied evenly, frequent use of the switch and normal operation may cause the grease to become carbonized and may eventually result in the deterioration of its lubricating properties, Toyota said.
The recall remedy will involve an inspection, switch disassembly, and application of special fluorine grease. The switch inspection and repair will be performed at no charge to the vehicle owner.
Owners of vehicles covered by this safety recall will receive an owner notification letter via first-class mail starting later this month. The repair will take approximately one hour, depending on the dealer’s work schedule, Toyota said.
The announced recall is for U.S. market vehicles only. No other Toyota, Lexus or Scion vehicles are involved, Toyota said. The automaker added that it is unaware of any vehicle crashes resulting from this condition.
For more details, click here. The Toyota Customer Experience Center can be reached at 1-800-331-4331.