Ford Targets Growth in Middle East and Africa
Ford Motor Company said it plans to accelerate new vehicle introductions in Middle East and Africa, leveraging the company’s One Ford global portfolio and targeting opportunities for growth in the car, utility, and truck segments.
Making the announcement during the lead up to the Dubai International Motor Show, which ran from November 10-14, Ford said it plans to launch at least 30 new vehicles by 2020 in Middle East & Africa as part of a new regional strategy. Ford’s product push will start quickly with eight new vehicles throughout Middle East and Africa by the end of 2016, including: The all-new 2016 Ford Edge SUV, the new 2016 Ford Explorer SUV, the new 2016 Ford Ranger pickup.
The product and technology acceleration comes two years after Ford announced the formation of its Middle East & Africa region at the Dubai Motor Show in November 2013. Since then, Ford has consolidated the sub-regions of Middle East, North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa and South Africa, into a single business unit.
As part of its long-term strategy, Ford MEA is strengthening every aspect of its business, including:
- Opening 35 new dealerships in the next two years.
- Improving customer experiences.
- Further tailoring global vehicles to the needs of MEA markets.
- Improving its distribution strength and capability.
- Identifying efficient sourcing opportunities for global and regional production.
- Building and developing its regional organization.
- Building and developing its vehicle finance operation.
- Improving cost of ownership and spare parts availability throughout the region.
The total Middle East and Africa car market is expected to grow 40 percent by the end of the decade to 5.5 million vehicles. Ford said it expects its sales in Middle East and Africa to outpace industry growth.
“Middle East & Africa spans 67 markets from Saudi Arabia to South Africa, and from Nigeria to Kenya, so customer tastes are as diverse as our markets,” said Jim Benintende, president of Ford Middle East and Africa. “Thanks to our One Ford plan, we can offer vehicles and technology that customers want and value, tailored to the needs of our markets.”